Sunday, November 30, 2008


The evening began with a conversation about Jung. Mr. Cliff spoke about emotional work with those that suffer various forms of cancer and the past experiences that have become concretized by the disease. The value of confronting the earlier losses, which in his view, make/made the disease possible are numerous. He spoke of synchronous holes and the inner connection of minds. I thought to myself that if one's approach of alternative medicine towards cancer patients is ineffective as a means of abatement, yet ultimately brings a degree of understanding to the parties involved then it truly meets the first tenet of the Hippocratic oath: First do no harm!

Why Do I bring this up?

Because, I proceeded to mix Harvey Wallbangers while I questioned the value of still standing on traditional notions of Anima and Animus, while 35 years of post-structural thinking have rid us of their pitfalls. AND, Harvey Wallbangers really can make your head and teeth hurt, like right now. No Really, we at the goat are thinking about a drink menu and before we craft one with a wood cover, we too will have to consult Hippocrates. So here it is:Ok, so it seems his whole oath doesn't seem to say anything about doing any harm. What did strike me was that while Hippocrates managed to wrestle medicine from those that subjected it to vast superstitions, he maintained a focus on prognosis over diagnosis. If anyone can tell me what this might yield for our cocktail menu beyond , "I know what this drink will do to you," instead of, " I know what drink you need and why " I would be in debt to you. The only thing I have learned from this probing is that we can't do anything that sweet again for a whole evening. THANKS HIPPOCRATES, Maybe you should feed the kitty.

No comments: